Lothar Behrens lothar.behrens at
Sun Apr 5 21:48:37 CEST 2009

> Hi Lothar, Jörg, Sean, Steve, and all others who are interested in a
> future GTA03,

> * funding of the project organization (e.g. we can set up a
> community funds or society or association or however the legal form
> has to be choosen). Funding levels could start at 5€ per year for
> students and go upwards for individuals and companies. And special
> services (e.g. managing the production of 100 customized units)
> could even provide more funding for the organization.

And indeed we fund with the purchase of our phones. I mostly played
with the navit package and done some bug reports. It's a hobby and
thus it would
also move someone to fund in comunity sub projects when there is a way
of hand on soldering and the like.

Also I played with the CAD files, wrote a script to convert some of
them, that costs me about 1 day. It is a fund. The idea behind that
was to make the CAD
files available in more formats and thus propably push private case

> A word to all those who think Hardware can not be developed by a
> community should take a look at:
> Building, launching and operating not only 1 but approx. 50
> satellites in the past 30 years is definitively more complex than
> building an open smartphone.

Hmm. Then open source projects were not the first movements in the
spirit of openess :-)

This is a great sample.

Here are some links about mobile equipment resellers:

TFT displays:

USB display

carPC site (german):

A link to books about building car PC's (linked in the carPC site):

This is unrelated but there are always people who build their own :-)

-- | Rapid Prototyping | XSLT Codegeneration |
Lothar Behrens
Heinrich-Scheufelen-Platz 2
73252 Lenningen