sunlight readable LCD

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 13:13:50 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009, Marcus Bauer wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Joseph Reeves wrote on his blog about a bicycle app for the Neo [1].
>
> I have always wanted to add cycling / sports functions to tangoGPS but
> as the LCD is mostly unreadable in sunlight I felt there is little use.
> After trying it a couple of times on my bike I soon started to leave
> the Neo at home.

I made a bike mount out of polymorph, and put the FR in a ziploc bag if it's
going to rain. I can see sunlight readability being a problem as summer
approaches though. I haven't got round to external power yet, but have used it
in the past for Psion and GPS both from battery (12V used mainly for lights)
and dynamo. The Psion has a transreflective screen so it's great in bright
sunlight.

> So I wonder about three things for better outdoor use:
>
> 1) How many of you would be interested in the following hardware
> mods:
>  * sunlight readable LCD

Yes

>  * bigger LCD 3,5"+

Maybe, but tweaking the UI for gloved fingers would be good enough for me. I
still want to be able to put it in my pocket!

>  * new ruggedized case or rubber shell (including a mean to nicely fix
> in on a bike?)
>  * waterproof (substaintially more costs)

Yes, but I don't see much point in one without the other. And it still needs
to fit in my pocket!

> 2) How much money would you spend on it? To give you an idea: the PSP
> display with touchscreen can be bought on ebay for ~25$. A case may be
> ~20-30$ for volumes of 100+.

Variable. If it's about the current size, waterproof, daylight readable and
doesn't reduce battery life too severely then >100$.