Why enlightenment?

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 00:05:55 CEST 2009

Saying that the libs are dedicated to the Neo sounds like my worst
nightmare: no application anywhere ever uses them.. except for some of
the programs written specially for the Neo. That would imply that, if
you ever want to use an application on the Neo, you will have to port it
(or live with the overhead of running multiple GUI toolkits at the same
time).

Saying we only need good apps sounds like a big understatement of the
problem. The open source world is full of good apps, the problem is: not
only do we need good apps, they need to be coded from scratch.

I'm not familiar with the layout possibilities of e, however in my
experience, the more freedom you give the developers, the more horrid
the design :(. This often leeds to differently sized fonts, with buttons
sized to the text they contain, and no place for the user to start or
stop looking at the application. I've even seen interfaces where you
where never sure weather something was a button or not, let alone what
would happen if you tried to click on it.

Most developers are like people making their first Powerpoint
presentation. Everybody has seen those: everything has a different
color, size, and it all flies around with sound effects.

Bram