backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at
Mon Apr 20 11:17:55 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen
<rask at> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:07:55AM +0200, Bram Mertens wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm about ready to flash a new distro onto the FreRuuner main memory
>> but since it'll be the first time I wanted to try backing up the
>> existing distro first.  So I followed the steps on
>> .
>   Which version of U-Boot are you using? DFU Upload was broken at least
> until 2008-10-17.
> 2008-10-07      Harald Welte    u-boot: Fix DFU upload in u-boot

I wrote it down because I intended to include it...

I'll check when I get back home but this date looks familiar.

As for reducing the backup: I'm trying to create a backup of the
initial image that came with the device so I'd like to avoid throwing
stuff away.

So the recommendation would be to update the U-Boot with:
1) backup exsitng U-Boot (
Boot NOR boto menu
sudo ./dfu-util -a u-boot -R -U good-u-boot.bin
sudo ./dfu-util -a u-boot_env -R -U good-u-boot_env.bin

2) flash U-Boot
dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D uboot.bin

Reboot the device to use the new U-Boot but the following reminder is
not very clear to me:
"Reminder: You should have boot from NOR first, in order to flash the
boot-loader in NAND. After flashing succesfully, make sure you reboot
from NAND's newly flashed boot loader, to benefit from the updates. "

Does this mean I simply have to reboot the FreeRunner to the NOR boot
menu again, or do I have to boot to the NAND boot menu as

And from which boot menu should I continue backing up the device?
>From the NOR menu?

Which u-boot.bin should I use?  And where should I get it?

Thanks in advance.