backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at
Mon Apr 20 19:32:04 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Bram Mertens <mertensb.mazda at> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen
> <rask at> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:07:55AM +0200, Bram Mertens wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm about ready to flash a new distro onto the FreRuuner main memory
>>> but since it'll be the first time I wanted to try backing up the
>>> existing distro first.  So I followed the steps on
>>> .
>>   Which version of U-Boot are you using? DFU Upload was broken at least
>> until 2008-10-17.
>> 2008-10-07      Harald Welte    u-boot: Fix DFU upload in u-boot
> I wrote it down because I intended to include it...
> I'll check when I get back home but this date looks familiar.
> As for reducing the backup: I'm trying to create a backup of the
> initial image that came with the device so I'd like to avoid throwing
> stuff away.
> So the recommendation would be to update the U-Boot with:
> 1) backup exsitng U-Boot (
> Boot NOR boto menu
> sudo ./dfu-util -a u-boot -R -U good-u-boot.bin
> sudo ./dfu-util -a u-boot_env -R -U good-u-boot_env.bin
> 2) flash U-Boot
> (
> dfu-util -a u-boot -R -D uboot.bin
> Reboot the device to use the new U-Boot but the following reminder is
> not very clear to me:
> "Reminder: You should have boot from NOR first, in order to flash the
> boot-loader in NAND. After flashing succesfully, make sure you reboot
> from NAND's newly flashed boot loader, to benefit from the updates. "
> Does this mean I simply have to reboot the FreeRunner to the NOR boot
> menu again, or do I have to boot to the NAND boot menu as
> well/instead?
> And from which boot menu should I continue backing up the device?
> From the NOR menu?
> Which u-boot.bin should I use?  And where should I get it?
> Thanks in advance.
> Bram

NOR boot menu shows: U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (May  9 2008 - 10:28:48)
NAND boot menu shows: U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (Oct  7 2008 - 21:03:06)

so I guess I need to update

According to the latest
bootloader binary builds can be found under .  Are these
considered "stable" despite being in the unstable "branch"?

Which version is recommended at this stage?  The latest daily build
does not contain a uboot image.  The one from 20090419 does.

Bram Mertens