backing up rootfs fails - after 40m FreeRunner continues booting

Bram Mertens mertensb.mazda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 22:18:41 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Cameron Frazier
<frazier.cameron at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Bram Mertens <mertensb.mazda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Cameron Frazier
>> <frazier.cameron at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Bram Mertens <mertensb.mazda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Have you tried using NeoTool [1]?  It's always worked quite well for
>>> me, and the backing up process avoids dfu-util.
>>>
>>> [1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/NeoTool
>>
>> I have tried to use it before when I initially went to pick up the
>> device but never succeeded, probably because we were using the wrong
>> files.
>>
>> And the instructions seemed clear enough to use the command line utility.
>>
>> The current problems/questions would have arisen with NeoTool anyway,
>> looks like I made a mistake when rebooting the device.
>>
>> So when you have flashed the U-Boot with NeoTool, how do you proceed?
>> Unplug it first, power down, then boot again or use the boot menu to
>> reboot?  And did you boot the device normally or immediately into NOR
>> or NAND?
>>
>> The display still shows the openmoko logo, guess I'll have to hard
>> reset it though I hope that won't break anything...
>

> I've always just:
>
> - flashed
> - powered down, which the FR seems to do on it's own once u-boot times out
> - unplug the usb, as I've found that leaving it in will cause hangs
> similar to what your seeing
>  (oddly I don't have this issue with the AC adapter)
> - turn on pre normal procedure (power button for 8-10 sec)
>
> I use NeoTool most times since I like the backup method (having had
> numerous problems with dfu-util backups) and it helps to ensure I'm
> not throwing improper commands when I flash.  I have little faith in
> the user on my end.

Thanks,

I pulled the battery and booted into NOR, it still shows:
U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (May 09 2008 - 10:28:48)
select reboot from menu - FDOM boots.
Shut down device to NAND boot menu.
NAND boot menu shows: pr 19 2009 -
19:10:05)520a22715fe7ff069b36b7dfdbb925a8e5a (A

So it looks like NAND U-Boot was updated but NOR hasn't.  However
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Backup#Backing-up_flash_images
specifically states that you need to be in NOR U-Boot before
flashing/backing up.

After reading http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_NOR I get the
impression that flashing NOR is not really recommended compared to
flashing NAND.

I'll try with NeoTool since even with the new U-Boot a backup fails
after 38minutes (while booted to NAND).

Regards

Bram