[debian] problems with debian and u-boot

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen rask at sygehus.dk
Thu Apr 23 21:24:28 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:05:55AM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
> 2009/4/14 Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask at sygehus.dk>:
> >
> >   Make sure the kernel is on a partition completely below 4 GB or use a
> > U-Boot built with this patch:
> > https://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2009-March/009573.html
> agh, that's why. it was on an 8gb partition.....
> i must have missed that in the debian documentation/om wiki

   I'm not sure it was a known limitation. A newer U-Boot with the 4 GB
patch is now available in the unstable directory:

> >   FWIW, even with the above patch, I'm having no success getting U-Boot to
> > read a kernel from a 1 GB partition starting at 6 GB. I'm trying to debug
> > it, though.
> using qi now, but not tried to boot debian yet. cheers rask

   The second problem was that U-Boot can't read ext2 filesystems revision 1
where inodes might not be 128 bytes. In my case they are 256 bytes, so the
inode position is miscalculated. Patch posted:

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen