testing Litephone, new phone interface

Michal Brzozowski rusolis at poczta.fm
Mon Aug 3 17:29:35 CEST 2009

2009/8/3 Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no>

> Michal Brzozowski wrote:
>
> > Litephone beta1 is available here:
> > http://pvtrace.com/litephone/litephone_0.0.1-r2_armv4t.ipk
>
> Beta impressions:
>
> * When the phone rings, please have litephone jump to the foreground.
>   Currently, I have to wade through several other running apps in order
>   to pick up the phone.

I was wondering when someone brings this up :-). Actually I don't like the
idea of poping up the phone window when the user is doing something. I have
a plan to show a little xshape gadget on the bottom of the screen on
incoming call or sms. On call it would probably show accept/reject/mute
buttons, the first one additonally bringing up the phone window on click. On
sms it would display the content in a one line pager style, and have
show/hide message buttons.

I wonder what you think about this idea :-)

> * Deleting a message (up-to-date SHR unstable) gives a screenful
>   of error messages. But the message was deleted.

Yes, although I think deleting did work for a while.

Here's the error (for Sebastian :-)):
http://pvtrace.com/litephone/delete_errors.txt

The message was probably not deleted, you will notice on restarting
litephone (it just deleted it from cache)

> * When I answer the phone, it rings and vibrates for a while after
>   I pressed "answer", before the call comes through. That is annoying.
>   I don't know if this can be improved in litephone, or if the
>   problem is in the framework or something.

This is a frameworkd issue. I think with litephone it's a bit better than
with SHR-apps, although I'm not sure.

> * The contact list has a second column, with 8 names. This allows
>   quick jumping through the list to various positions. Excellent!
>
> * Strange SMS view. Before, I could see who sent the message, and
>   the first part of the text. And often enough, the first part is
>   all I need to see. Some messages are short, just "call me" and such.
>
>   Now, I see who sent the message, and a strange number. (database
>   key???)  This number is not useful, please bring back the
>   text snippet.

This was left by accident after debugging, sorry :-)
We are working on some better view in messages, phonelog and contacts

> * Really long messages support scrolling. This is better than SHR. :-)

Oh, good to know :-)

> * When the user closes litephone, consider informing that
>   no further calls or SMS will be received. This may not be obvious to
>   all users, and phone functionality is an important part of the device.
>   Still, if you make such a dialog, also add the
>   "don't show this warning again" button for the expert users.
>

> I might add this to the wiki - when/if the email address confirmation
> comes through. :-/

Please do.