om2009/paroli status

Mirko Lindner vegyraupe at paroli-project.org
Mon Aug 3 19:09:21 CEST 2009

Hey again,

On 3 Aug 2009, at 19:01, Steven Le Roux wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Mirko
> Lindner<vegyraupe at paroli-project.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am still alive and by no means agree that I am not doing anything.
>> I would agree that I am not coding right now. I am in active
>> contact with the pyneo crew, met with them in Hamburg and talked
>> with fgau of epydial how to get the apps into paroli. MDT of pyneo
>> who has started 2 branches has taken over the part of doing
>> maintenance on paroli's core (formerly tichy) and this is still
>> the plan.
>> Adding features to paroli right now has been opted against as
>> Angus and I
>> still hope to be able to release Om2009. This requires bug-fixing
>> not new
>> features.
>> I am also collaborating with Mirko from OpenWrt to get paroli fully
>> supported on this platform as well.
>>
>> So nobody here has any news from Mirko ? Neither QI-Hardware ?
>>
>> Not on the mailinglists I admit, but I am online on irc regularly
>> these
>> days. Certainly less than during OM times and maybe difficult to
>> catch due
>> to changing nick names.
>
> Good to know :)

For the record: vegyraupe, mirko-paroli, mirkolindner on irc :)

>> I really like Paroli and would love to see this effort congratulate
>> for example by being integrated into SHR too... but if the maintainer
>> remains w/o news... Laszlo what do you think about a fork  to apply
>> your patches ? a continue with welcomed contrib ?
>>
>> I think a fork would be the worst case scenario.
>
> And you're right ! It was the last possible scenario to adopt...
>
>> Laszlo also doesn't need to
>> fork, if adding new features is desperately needed how about a
>> branch?
>> Certainly better than splitting the few resources that go into a
>> project.
>> I take part of the blame as I am heavily involved with Qi Hardware
>> at the
>> moment and also do like to socialize and enjoy the sun every now
>> and again.
>> I see a future for paroli and am interested in and working for a
>> revival of
>> a python based multi-purpose device UI.
>
> There is no pb being off for a while... but mails was looking like
> you're dead 2 month ago ;).

Hehe, I did talk with Laszlo every now and again so there was
communication, but I completely understand his frustration.

> So let's stabilize and what non-coding user can do more then adding
> tickets to the Trac ?

Yes and trying to figure out when which errors appear that allows
"us" (coders) to fix the problems faster. There was a problem with
the suspend on the last OWrt image which meant I couldn't use the
phone as my daily but I am optimistic that this will be solved soon
and thus enjoy my own bugs on a daily basis and fix them :)