[shr-u] navit - howto config navit.xml

Nathan Kinkade nath at nkinka.de
Wed Aug 5 00:12:12 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 12:24:00PM -0700, Russell Dwiggins wrote:

> >Since then I have re-flashed my Freerunner and I can't see to get Navit
> >to display the maps.  Navit starts up with no problem and I can see that
> >it has a fix, but the screen is just yellow -- no maps is displayed.  No
> >errors, but no map.
>
> One way to test the binfile is to start searching for cities / streets in
> the area of the binfile.  If navit recognizes it, you should see the names
> "autocompleting"
>
> As for the yellow screen, have you gotten a fix since using the latest
> navit?  That should help.  Otherwise, there is a center= line in the
> navit.xml file that I think is supposed to be a start point or something.
>
> Good luck!

Thanks, Russell.  Yes, I'm sure the device has a fix, as TangoGPS
indicates so and so does Navit in the status bar at the bottom.

And your suggestion to try looking for a city was a good one.  It turns
out the search is working, and I was able to find cities when looking
for a destination.  So I guess this means that the map is getting
loaded, but the graphical part of it is not displaying for some reason.

I'm not really sure where to go from here, especially since Navit isn't
producing any errors.  I've been looking through the output of an strace
on Navit, but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

Nathan