FSO Going Out of the Distro Business? - Questions

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Wed Aug 5 12:17:31 CEST 2009

"Freesmartphone.org is going out of the distro business. We will
 focus on the framework itself and will rely on SHR for building
 a real distro and GUI around it."

I got the above comment on a bug report I just filed and while I've
heard it mentioned, I don't understand the ramifications.

1. How will FSO -test- their stuff during development prior to a
   distro picking up the release?  Don't they need a vanilla
   distro for their own testing purposes?

2. If not FSO, where can I get a vanilla distro that -excludes-
   most of the GUI apps and let's me install just that which I
   want to use?

I've been using the FSO distro because it lets me start with a solid
kernel + basic services and build up an environment just the way I want.
 The other distros I've looked at bundle too much and make assumptions
about the phone UI and PIM data storage that get in the way of operation.

Really just the kernel, an sshd, FSO services, busybox, elementary, X11,
Python and an opkg command pointing to a current set of .ipk files would
be fine.  Am I out of luck and things are going the way of bulky complex
distros on Neo as well?

-Jeff