testing Litephone, new phone interface

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Aug 5 15:55:33 CEST 2009

Michal Brzozowski wrote:
> 2009/8/3 Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no
> <mailto:helge.hafting at hist.no>>
>
>     Michal Brzozowski wrote:
>
>      > Litephone beta1 is available here:
>      > http://pvtrace.com/litephone/litephone_0.0.1-r2_armv4t.ipk
>
>     Beta impressions:
>
>     * When the phone rings, please have litephone jump to the foreground.
>       Currently, I have to wade through several other running apps in order
>       to pick up the phone.
>

> I was wondering when someone brings this up :-). Actually I don't like
> the idea of poping up the phone window when the user is doing something.

Normally, I am very much against popups, because they interrupt other
work. A ringing phone is different. It is already an interruption, and
one that has to be handled in real-time too.

If I don't want to answer, I still want to reject the call. So I
need some sort of UI when it rings, and it had better not be cumbersome
just because some other app was on top. Of course, a popup is not
the only way.

I have been thinking that since this is a _phone_, then perhaps the AUX
button should pick up the phone whenever it rings, and hang up whenever
there is a call in progress. That would get rid of many problems. In
particular, one doesn't even have to look at the screen at all.

Other popular uses for AUX could still work - when there isn't a call
in progress. It is not as if I tend to lock the screen while talking...

> I have a plan to show a little xshape gadget on the bottom of the screen
> on incoming call or sms. On call it would probably show
> accept/reject/mute buttons, the first one additonally bringing up the
> phone window on click. On sms it would display the content in a one line
> pager style, and have show/hide message buttons.
>
> I wonder what you think about this idea :-)

That seems ok too.

>     * Deleting a message (up-to-date SHR unstable) gives a screenful
>       of error messages. But the message was deleted.
>

> Yes, although I think deleting did work for a while.
>
> Here's the error (for Sebastian :-)):
> http://pvtrace.com/litephone/delete_errors.txt
>
> The message was probably not deleted, you will notice on restarting
> litephone (it just deleted it from cache)

I noticed it showed up in shr messages.

Helge Hafting