The University of São Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Mon Aug 3 18:34:13 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 05:28:01PM +0100, Álvaro Lopes wrote:
> Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> > I certainly see the university as "sponsors" of the project, in the fact
> > that it does cost money to run such an SMT line, to do some of the legal
> > work, etc.  I would like to find a way to help compensate them for this
> > work, to make the project truly self-sustaining.  Dr. Zuffo and I have
> > discussed government grants and other funding ideas.  Please see below.
>
> Government will also want some return. I don't see clearly (yet) how a project like ours can give them that (like OLPC and portuguese's "Magalhães").

   A phone that's more difficult to sneak spyware into than a closed one
such as an IPhone or Blackberry. How do you know it isn't secretly being
wiretapped? How do you *know*? With open hardware, there are no secret power
supplies or audio inputs to the GSM/UMTS chip. With open hardware, you also
decide what software to run on it, such as to deselect back doors, or
implement encrypted conversation over GSM data calls, which AFAIK isn't
available in any of the closed phones.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen