Reading binary messages

Daniel Willmann daniel at totalueberwachung.de
Fri Aug 7 03:34:52 CEST 2009

Hey David,

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 17:15:57 -0400
David Ford <david at blue-labs.org> wrote:

> MMS notification is sent as a URL via SMS.
>
> bluesms.py has initial support for MMS however my phone has been out
> for buzzfix for a while.  with a growing number of phones and
> carriers, you're only allowed to fetch that URL from the phone number
> it's designated for.  further, it's normal to require you to fetch
> via your APN proxy.  do note that the PDU decoding for these binary
> messages is broken in FSO and needs to be fixed.  i'll work on that
> when i get my phone back next week.  that means that the URL sent to
> you could have junk prefixed to the URL, or the front of the URL
> could be chopped off.

we talked about this some time ago and I'm still not sure why the first
part of that multipart SMS is swallowed in your case. As I said the
binary SMS you get not only contains the URL but other info as well.
Have you tried my suggestion on setting Device.SetSimBuffersSms(False)
[1] and checking with mdbus -s -l what the first message is?
I suspect the first message has the attribute pid or message-class set
to something strange so when the SIM buffers the message it will
overwrite it. As soon as you got both messages you can reassemble the
whole message and parse that according to the spec.

[1]:
http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=specs.git;a=blob_plain;f=html/org.freesmartphone.GSM.Device.html;hb=HEAD#SetSimBuffersSms

Regards,
Daniel Willmann