Freerunner audio channels

Vasco Névoa vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Fri Aug 7 17:45:19 CEST 2009

I think you're all missing the point.

David's initial post is a breath of fresh air into a long debated but
(AFAIK) non-resolved issue.

I deeply welcome his investigation into this subject, and support his
questions (which I also would like to see answered).

Although the issue of low playback volume is rather well controlled in
our FRs, the issue of low recording volume for GSM transmission
remains - with callers still complaining and going "what? I didn't
hear you..." now and then, especially in (even slightly) noisy
environments.

The whole "audio settings for GSM" issue is _not_ cut and dried, in my
view. I still have to go into frameworkd.conf every time I flash the
phone and set the DSP to "long-aec" to avoid echo and sporadic audio
clipping, as well as raising the volume in playback and mic in
gsmhandset.state... and I'm still not satisfied with audio quality.

So, can someone please humor David and me and explain this sidetone
channel business?

Thanks.
Vasco.