[all / linux] password protect a file

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Sun Aug 9 17:38:46 CEST 2009

jeremy jozwik wrote:
> mornin list, ive got a crap memory. and i used to use a password
> manager on my old blackberry that was, oddly enough, password
> protected. so my question today is weather or not it is possible to
> password protect a file on the openmoko so much so root cannot access
> it without the correct password?
>
> i know this would be tragic if i forgot the password but remembering
> one is a lot easier then remembering 20.
>
> at any rate is it do able or would i need to create a user login for the moko?

Hi Jeremy,

You could use pgp/gpg  for this, root needs a password protected key to
open the file.
you also could use an encrypted partition/loopback file.
Root could mount that, with a password and then access the files on that
filesystem.
And unmount it after you are finished reading the file(s).

Kind regards,
Ed