Document with answers to most popular battery-related questions is ready

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Mon Aug 10 02:35:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 10:05:58AM +0200, Rafael Campos wrote:
> Nice discussion on the follow mails, but i've a doubt
>
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Q: But why doesn't it ever stop charging on my device?
> > A: The GSM modem is connected directly to the battery terminals so if
> > it's active, charger will think it's still charging the battery and
> > won't turn off unless GSM becomes inactive. The default threshold is
> > about 16mA, the latest Qi increases the threshold to ~32mA.
>
> Is this true for gta02 deevices only or it's the same for gta01?

   The threshold on the gta01 can be 0.05, 0.10, 0.20 or 0.40 times Ifast,
where Ifast is 111 mV / 0.22 Ohm = 504 mA. The gta01 uses a threhold of 0.2
* Ifast = 100 mA.

   Btw, on the gta02, there's a switch U1705 between the battery and the GSM
modem. It's not like on the gta01 where the GSM modem can stay on while the
gta01 is otherwise turned off.

> > Q: Does it mean if i leave my phone plugged it will eventually fully
> > discharge the battery?
> > A: On gta02 the charger will restart the charge automatically once the
> > battery voltage reaches ~4V which corresponds to ~76%. Not sure about
> > gta01, requires more investigation. :-/

   I looked at the PCF50606 manual. I can't see where it restarts charging
automatically.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen