The "trivial" #1024 GSM fix

Mikhail Umorin mikeumo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:27:55 CEST 2009

On Monday 10 August 2009 06:51:59 Paul Fertser wrote:

> > But I think you should still not assume that every Neo owner has
> > access to the #1024 GSM fix necessary for the 140 hour standby time.
>
> Should i also refrain from assuming every Neo owner has access to some
> *nix box? Or to ssh client? This might make sense _if_ Neo wasn't a
> geek/hacker/developer device. But it is so its users are supposed to
> be able to solve small riddles along their ways to freedom.

Paul, I think you are missing the risk part of it: if I screw up in software I
can just reflash the device if I break a tiny piece of hardware -- my $400 fr
is gone.

Software and hardware are two totally different animals and being a geek in
one does not imply being a geek in the other.

I don't feel comfortable with any hw work exactly because of the risks
involved. So, I would like some else fix this hw bug, but not just a guy
around the corner -- I want a high degree of certainty that I shall get back a
working device.

Mikhail.