[Debian] Installation failed

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Wed Aug 12 04:05:10 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM,
ueli.peter at bluewin.ch<ueli.peter at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Dear Community
>
> the last tree days i tryed to install Debian "over" SHR.
> Everytime endig with:
>

> P: Configuring package debian-archive-keyring
> P: Configuring package apt
> P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-apt
> E: Internal error: install
> root at om-gta02 ~ $
>
> Full Log is appended
>
> Any hints?

Well Ueli -- you are not alone. I think that error is pretty generic
and that you really have to look in this file --
/mnt/debian/var/log/bootstrap.log  -- to see useful messges.

I am surprised that a standard piece of hardware with a completely
standard OM distro can't run this Debian installer script. It's also a
drag that I can't restart it once it's failed to try again -- well, I
can -- "./install.sh debian" but it starts over again and that step
takes a long long time. Well it even says "might take a while". :-)
That's true! Takes FOREVER actually since it never completes.

Today I tried flashing each of these to the phone to use as a starting point.

OM2009
OM2008.12
OM2008.9

backing off to an older distro each time figuring maybe THIS time it would work.
Same results every time

P: Configuring helper cdebootstrap-helper-apt
E: Internal error: install

Checking the log file in /mnt/debian/var/log/bootstrap.log I see this

> O: Failed to fetch bootstrap:/pool/main/t/texinfo/install info_4.13a.dfsg.1-4_armel.deb
> O: E:
> O: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
> O:
> E: Internal error: install

This looks pretty bad -- missing archive -- It's a different error
than I got with OM2009 - which I did not note. Reading the wiki page
at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner I just figured OM2009 was
too new.

I wonder where it's going for the archive.
I wonder why it can't get there.

I googled for the error and found this

http://www.mail-archive.com/smartphones-userland@linuxtogo.org/msg01501.html

Trying that now-- manually wget the deb file and put it in
/mnt/debian/var/cache/bootstrap/
Maybe this will help...

Brian