is wifi-driver developed anymore?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 22:44:30 CEST 2009

"arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:
>> to use the method described at FSO_Resources wiki page, then the bug
>> doesn't surface.
>
> at least the page mentioned (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FSO_Resources,
> i guess, but due to the plethora of wikis out there, "wiki page" might
> refer to soemthing totally different) does not mention wifi issues or
> "workaround" in any way.

I assume default wiki is wiki.openmoko.org, sorry for being
unclear. Here's a quote from the page you mentioned:

"
Especially recommended for WiFi since due to the bugs in the firmware
and the driver full power-cycle of the module is often advantageous.

Example command (works for open, WEP and WPA/WPA2 networks,
automatically determining the network it can connect to, just add all
the networks you use to the config):

fsoraw -r WiFi -- wpa_supplicant -ieth0 -Dwext
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
"

> mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage
> org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy WiFi enabled

Unnecessary and in this particular case harmful. I thought the page
implies that clearly enough. :(

> next, where does one get fsoraw from (the ticket links to the sources, but
> i never actually saw a binary, let alone a package somewhere)?

SHR feeds already have that. Can't say about OM2009 -- ask Angus or
other guys interested.

> last but not least: if that fsoraw thing indeed is some kind of
> workaround, it should be easy to include it into fso by default ...

FSO is not a distro anymore and fsoraw is a convenience tool, not
necessary for the framework to function. So it's up to the distro
maintainers to include or not include it by default.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com