is wifi-driver developed anymore?

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Thu Aug 13 10:34:45 CEST 2009

> Here's a quote from the page you mentioned:
>
> "
> Especially recommended for WiFi since due to the bugs in the firmware
> and the driver full power-cycle of the module is often advantageous.
>
> Example command (works for open, WEP and WPA/WPA2 networks,
> automatically determining the network it can connect to, just add all
> the networks you use to the config):
>
> fsoraw -r WiFi -- wpa_supplicant -ieth0 -Dwext
> -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> "

still doesn't say "workaround" to me, but ok.

>> mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage
>> org.freesmartphone.Usage.SetResourcePolicy WiFi enabled
>
> Unnecessary and in this particular case harmful. I thought the page
> implies that clearly enough. :(

no. absolutely not.

>> next, where does one get fsoraw from (the ticket links to the sources,
>> but
>> i never actually saw a binary, let alone a package somewhere)?
>
> SHR feeds already have that. Can't say about OM2009 -- ask Angus or
> other guys interested.

no shr or anything oe based, plain debian.

>> last but not least: if that fsoraw thing indeed is some kind of
>> workaround, it should be easy to include it into fso by default ...
>
> FSO is not a distro anymore and fsoraw is a convenience tool, not
> necessary for the framework to function. So it's up to the distro
> maintainers to include or not include it by default.

i don't see what fso not being a distribution anymore has to do with it.
- fsoraw makes use of fso functionality to handly wifi.
- the fso way of retrieving the resource is discouraged

looks to me pretty much like fso should do something about that (imho the
need for fsoraw shows a lack of functionality in fso anyway, but that's
another matter).

another question: how good and reliable does that work when doing it
repeatedly? and how does one stop wifi?
killing fsoraw would power off wifi again -- how is that different from
requesting and releasing the resource the fso way (i use
openmoko-panel-plugin and it seems natural to click one icon and choose
"enable" or "disable")?

"Especially recommended for WiFi since due to the bugs in the firmware and
the driver full power-cycle of the module is often advantageous."

i am not quite sure, what to make from that sentence.