Commercial alternative to "MintyBoost"

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 17:25:38 CEST 2009

Hey guys!

I also progressed some with these usb battery charger project.
Namely I bought three products:

1.
GP InstantPower: http://www.alza.cz/mobilni-nabijecka-gp-instantpower-d94738.htm
(it seems the fabrication has been stopped, so only surplus items are
available on the market)

2. PowerGuy (original chinese manufacturer: sznjkj.com)
http://sznjkj.com/cpintroduce.asp?cpID=37

I dunno chinese at all, but on that page it looks very similar to
the "PowerGuy" M-100 product:
http://www.powerguy.de/produkte/1/7/powerguy-m-100/

> It has a very lousy USB plug which finally broke the USB connector in my
> Freerunner:

I agree, the connector is not really good. In fact, we need to plug two
rigid connector together, so it is not surprise, that brokes the
freerunner's connector. (it is about 3-4cm rigid thing coming out of the phone).

3. 3700mAh Li-Ion battery charger, "K005":
http://sznjkj.com/cpintroduce.asp?cpID=90

> They claim to deliver 240mA, but my feeling was rather 100mA.

I made some tests. With the PowerGuy charger from a GP alkaline battery (1.5V)
it charger more then 5hours long, and while the phone was in suspend
at the whole
time, it only charged 21 percent.

I also made some tests with the Li-Ion battery charger:
It charges about 40% to the phone. I suspect some problem here.
Maybe I cant charge it via Freerunner's charger? (1000mAh)

But it charges faster then the PowerGuy. Dunno why is it, because
I didnt set anything on the phone (and the default should be 100mA).

I will test more the Li-Ion battery charger, maybe I should recharge with
different wall-charger, and report back more.

Btw, with a 3.7V 3500mAh battery (K005 type), how many times could
I recharge the phone? More then 2 full charges?
Because something is clearly wrong with the charger.

Maybe I will build the MintyBoost circuitry into GP charger. (the GP
charger is really small in reality.).

Best regards,
 Laszlo