FSO resources, GPS-TTFF example (Was: is wifi-driver developed anymore?)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 14 14:35:45 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 14:15 +0200, arne anka wrote:
> > If the app doesn't have FSO support, use fsoraw to request the resource.
>
> _now_ i am confused.
> in my understanding
> what i always tried to find out, and i understand now even less than
> before: what is the rationale for fsoraw?
>
> if it does nothing but requesting the resource, a dbus call would do
> exactly the same w/o need of an additional app (and second one to release
> afterwards, of course).
> if it does soemthing a dbus call won't be able to deliver, why isn't fso
> extended to include that functionality?

fsoraw, mdbus and dbus-send all allow management of resources.  mdbus is
slow - very slow - its was apparently a test tool that proved useful.
An advantage that it does have is that it can request some resources and
they stay requested until you specifically request them to be released.
I was never able to use dbus-send reliably though it was reccomended as
a replacement for mdbus.

fsoraw is fast - thats its main advantage, plus when it requests a
resource, it releases it on exit - so when the app called by fsoraw
exits, fsoraw then also exits and the resource is automaticly released.
All fsoraw seems to be is a program that calls the dbus libraries
directly, hence its speed.

BillK