Kernel Mode-Setting (KMS) on Neo FreeRunner + Debian

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Aug 18 03:38:12 CEST 2009

I haven't seen anyone else post about this yet, but this looks really neat!

(Found via Planet Ubuntu)

http://losca.blogspot.com/2009/08/kernel-mode-setting-kms-on-neo.html

# Forget AMD, Intel, NVIDIA! Thomas White's incredible work with Neo
# FreeRunner's puny graphics dec...accelerator, Smedia Glamo 3362 is starting
# to bear fruits.  [...]
#
# The camera shot on the right, running KMS-enabled X.org driver for the glamo
# chip on my Debian installation (visible software matchbox-window-manager,
# fbpanel, zhone), is a bit optimistic looking since Zhone happens to draw
# correctly. A lot of the drawing is not yet synced correctly, which shows as
# all text and images in eg. GTK applications being garbled. But as little as
# two days ago one couldn't yet much launch applications without X crashing,
# so the newest commits by Thomas were a big step forwards. I'm using Debian,
# and he's not, so I try to find time to help in debugging even though I
# really can't much help with the driver code.
#
# The driver is not just one piece of code, but consists of a kernel drm
# driver (direct rendering manager) using GEM, libdrm support for the kernel
# driver and finally the X.org driver supporting these other components and
# offering buzz-words like DRI2. There is also a beginning of a Mesa 3D
# driver, though it is so far just a skeleton driver since the 2D/KMS/EXA/DRM
# parts are what should be done first before dwelling into the OpenGL realm.
[...]

Even has an excerpt from the X servers log file with:

# (WW) Glamo(0): EXA hardware acceleration initialising
# (II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
# (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
# (II) Solid
# (II) Copy
# (II) Glamo(0): Initialized EXA acceleration

Thomas's own blog is here:

http://www.bitwiz.org.uk/

cheers,
Chris

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP