Enhancing launcher - feedback

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 05:25:07 CEST 2009

Hi,

Dan Staley wrote:

> Hi,
> You mentioned that you were looking on enhancing launcher......I love the
> app, but have a couple of suggestions:
>
> 1.)  Could you add an option to display the time in the 12 hour format
> instead of 24?
> 2.)  I have a couple programs that show up twice in the group they are
> in...not sure if it is a bug or somehow they got added twice to the
> sqllite db.
> 3.)  Launcher wont correctly run some programs that has a space in the
> exec declaration of the .desktop file.  (ex: literki's default .desktop
> file and shr's phonelog)...however others run fine... (mokomaze with
> fsoraw appended to the beginning)  Not sure what is causing this.
>
> If I can help debugging any of this let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> -Dan Staley

  I thought I'll use this email to get some feedback on this ML.

  I've spent some time trying to add stuff to Illume - but am still divided
between having a seperate user space app for the FR. Tying phone
functionality to Illume doesn't really feel right.
  Launcher already works reasonably - and adding basic phone functionality
will make a lot of sense - hence this effort. Unfortunately, I'm never
really satisfied with the basic ;-)

  The plan is therefore to add the following:-

 * call log (already done to a large extent)
 * match numbers to callers (in progress)
 * sms app (with threads) (planned but not yet started)
 * location info display (if someone can show me how)
 * notification service - (stuck halfway) allowing any app to give a
notification to the user. It'll work similar to the way things work now for
indicating sms/missed calls. A notification icon gets shown on the home
page, clicking it brings up a notifications window with an icon and a
message in a button allowing the (client) app to set another app (mostly
itself) to run in response to the button click.
 * reminders for notifications (including sms/missed calls)
 * icons indicating the profile settings (vibrate / silent etc)
 * perhaps overloading the aux button to provide some specific functionality
(like brightness/picking calls etc)

  Help needed
 * dbus service using e libs. How do I register a service from a running
app? I'm a little unsure about whether a marshaller is needed or not - and
what the right way to implement this using e would be.

 * icons for just about everything - missed calls, incoming calls, outgoing
calls, new sms, read sms, phone icon, mobile icon etc.
  I'm currently using icons from opimd-utils. Hope that's OK.

 * bug reports on launcher. There are a few pending bugs - will fix them
soon.

 I'll get back sms/missed call functionality (had shifted to opimd till I
was told that the current stack hasn't) and will release a test version with
phonelog working soon(maybe today).

About the Q's.
>Could you add an option to display the time in the 12 hour format instead
of 24?
 You can have any display format. Set the display string in Preferences
(DateTime). The format is as per strftime.

> I have a couple programs that show up twice in the group they are in...not
> sure if it is a bug or somehow they got added twice to the sqllite db.
 Thats a bug in the parsing. Will fix it soon.

> Launcher wont correctly run some programs that has a space in the exec
> declaration of the .desktop file.
  Thats a bug too. The string I'm passing to ecore_exe_run needs some work.
Will fix that too soon.