[all / linux] neo as gps unit?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Aug 18 17:40:50 CEST 2009

jeremy jozwik wrote:
> morning all. i was just sitting here on my debian laptop, poking
> around with tango gps. now my laptop does not have any sort of gps so
> i get the "no gps found" deal at the bottom. that got me thinking, has
> anyone setup there freerunner to act as a gps device for there
> laptops?
>
> if so, is there a wiki about it?
>
> if not, is it possible to do?

It is simple, because sharing a gps unit over the network is an old
feature of linux.

The freerunner makes its gps available on port 2947.
So, just connect your laptop and phone. If you use the
usb cable, the phone will have ip address 192.168.0.202

Set up your laptop gps software to use the gps unit at
192.168.0.202:2947, instead of the default localhost:2947.

It worked well last time I tried it.

Helge Hafting