[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Aug 21 11:21:35 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Patryk Benderz<Patryk.Benderz at esp.pl> wrote:
>> ABSTRACT
>> I think a new showroom for community created application is needed to
> I think instead of creating new showroom it is better to improve
> existing ones.
>> boost the development and help users to get to know new apps easily.
> Wiki does this (applications section)

It does not look good! Wiki is a nice idea, freely editable for
everyone - but it just doesn't work for all purposes.

>> SETUP
>> community, the comment system has alowed us to get in touch with the
>> developer/packager and we've seen nice screeshots there to encourage
>> us to try apps. Also the release of opkg.org repository was great!
> Wiki does this all also.

Can't get RSS out with comments. Wiki doesn't create a repository. And
- it doesn't look appealing!

>> For Freerunner, we need something like this to do the trick. Being
>> easily able to promote applications will inspire devels to write apps
>> which the makes the users and other devels more satisfied with
>> Freerunner and inspire more developers to participate. Repositories
>> are nice but there needs to be a way for people to know what apps are
>> now in. Ubuntu with ~30 000 packages doesn't inspire me to try even a

> This is untrue my friend, first of all it would be not 30 000 but 27
> 000. But that is not true either because ~25100 of these packages are
> backported from Debian. Thus the remeining ~1900 packages belong to
> Ubuntu.

Thanks for pointing these details out. My point was that a long list
of apps and libraries mixed together is not an easy format to go and
find the coolest apps.

Not? See http://www.opkg.org/packages ...

>> METHODS
>>
> [...cut]
> Or if i didn't convinced you yet -
> try to catch opkg author, and convince him to hand over opkg page to
> community.

Have tried to do that for ~6 months now.