[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 11:59:30 CEST 2009

On 8/21/09, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13:04PM +0300, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
>> -> Still I think there's a need for a platform to promote ~working
>> apps in an appealing way.
>
> Yes that's true and I think that opkg.org is doing just that.
>
> Only few small parts are missing.
>
> 1) Use it rather as nice showroom, not as opkg/deb repo
>
> 2) Voting UP/DOWN for popularity and showing most popular packages for
> section/task, maybe iven UP/DOWN buttons for "I would like to test
> it/use it or I need exactly something like this" - someone please
> provide package for my distribution.
>
> 3) opkg/deb or manuall installation instructions only in first phase
> when its unknown package from unknown developer :)
>
> 4) then community-editable list of distributions where it works/doesn't
> work.
>
> 5) same list with sign if its included in standard repo of that distribution
> and if its not included, user should provide a link to distribution bug
> tracker
> where is package request for that application and everyone could provide
> bbfile/src.deb as attachment in that bug, its quite easy. Distro
> maintainers than could check if that package is really that popular and
> if someone from users/developer itself provided working bbfile then commit
> it to
> their branch, remove link to bug tracker and set sign, thats already
> included.
>
> Maybe just table like this
>
> | distribution | works  | doesn't work | I would like to use it | Included
>   | Package request |
> | shr-unstable | 10 + - |   2 + -      |   40  + -              |   Yes
>   | link-fixed      |
> | shr-stable   | 2  + - |   0 + -      |   400 + -              |   No
> (_Yes_) | link            |
> | debian       | 12 + - |   0 + -      |   4   + -              |   No
> (_Yes_) | _add_link_      |
> | _add new distribution_
>
> where + - would be voting links
>
>> > Very last words:
>> > Please do not put anything up, when there is no time / resources to
>> > maintain it. It would be a shame to waste so much efforts
>> +1!
>
> +1!
> IMHO only few improvements of opkg.org are needed..

I have one idea: how do you want to catch up with library changes
(versioning, naming etc.) on those distributrions? Now on opkg.org
there are lots of nice, but unusable apps, because authors forget
about that apps and there is noone who could regenerate package.

And about Android, Qtopia and iPhone "showrooms": that systems doesn't
have repositories at all, only "showrooms". I think that's the main
difference.

I just think we should have some nice way to distribute community
apps. And in my opinion sites like opkg.org makes it harder... Maybe
in short-term it does what it should, but in long-term that approach
just doesn't work. And actual state of opkg.org proved that.

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos