[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 13:03:03 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:59:30AM +0200, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
> On 8/21/09, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13:04PM +0300, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> >> -> Still I think there's a need for a platform to promote ~working
> >> apps in an appealing way.
> >
> > Yes that's true and I think that opkg.org is doing just that.
> >
> > Only few small parts are missing.
> >
> > 1) Use it rather as nice showroom, not as opkg/deb repo
> >
> > 2) Voting UP/DOWN for popularity and showing most popular packages for
> > section/task, maybe iven UP/DOWN buttons for "I would like to test
> > it/use it or I need exactly something like this" - someone please
> > provide package for my distribution.
> >
> > 3) opkg/deb or manuall installation instructions only in first phase
> > when its unknown package from unknown developer :)
> >
> > 4) then community-editable list of distributions where it works/doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > 5) same list with sign if its included in standard repo of that distribution
> > and if its not included, user should provide a link to distribution bug
> > tracker
> > where is package request for that application and everyone could provide
> > bbfile/src.deb as attachment in that bug, its quite easy. Distro
> > maintainers than could check if that package is really that popular and
> > if someone from users/developer itself provided working bbfile then commit
> > it to
> > their branch, remove link to bug tracker and set sign, thats already
> > included.
> >
> > Maybe just table like this
> >
> > | distribution | works  | doesn't work | I would like to use it | Included
> >   | Package request |
> > | shr-unstable | 10 + - |   2 + -      |   40  + -              |   Yes
> >   | link-fixed      |
> > | shr-stable   | 2  + - |   0 + -      |   400 + -              |   No
> > (_Yes_) | link            |
> > | debian       | 12 + - |   0 + -      |   4   + -              |   No
> > (_Yes_) | _add_link_      |
> > | _add new distribution_
> >
> > where + - would be voting links

> >> +1!
> >
> > +1!
> > IMHO only few improvements of opkg.org are needed..
>
> I have one idea: how do you want to catch up with library changes
> (versioning, naming etc.) on those distributrions? Now on opkg.org
> there are lots of nice, but unusable apps, because authors forget
> about that apps and there is noone who could regenerate package.

That's why I suggested 3)
to use opkg/deb or manuall installation instructions only in first phase

Because someone brave enough should be able to install it manually, test
provided opkg/deb or use install instruction for creating bbfile. And
then add his vote for "works".
If he cannot built/run it, maybe didn't even tried to install and just
likes screenshots+description,  add vote for "I would like to use it".
This vote would be usefull also for end users without time or skills to built
it on their own or to mess with library changes and so.

I'm willing to try to provide bbfiles for packages with high "I would
like to use it" which are now without bbfile (as I tried ie with PISI).

So whole reason for this table would be to prioritize including of
packages to distributions based on count of works or likes.

uin:136542059                jid:Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
Jansa Martin                 sip:jamasip at voip.wengo.fr
JaMa