[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Fri Aug 21 13:17:28 CEST 2009

2009/8/21 Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi>:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Sebastian
> Krzyszkowiak<seba.dos1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/21/09, David Reyes Samblas Martinez <david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:
>>> Just an idea, why not use the bb file and source files as README,
>>> INSTALL, Changelog, and .desktop files if exist as source for this
>>> showroom?
>
>> ++ from me! Some way for browse repository (doesn't matter if from WWW
>> or from app on Neo, or even both at once) could be IMO the best
>> showroom. It won't be outdated, app authors won't have to package
>> their apps (as now they do, which is strange ;x).
>
> I agree, the point is to make it easy and appealing to find cool apps.
> But I wouldn't like to be able to see descriptions of all libraries
> but apps that one can use to do cool stuff.
the existance or not of desktop file can be used as filter to not
include libs/console apps if you don't want them, (maybe others are
searching for a lib and can be useful to include them)

> If it can be automated this far, it'd be great! Both WWW and app for
> Openmoko would be nice to have. And somehow - this again should be
> distro-undependant so that it can be easily adapted to work on
> openwrt, shr, om2009 - maybe even on Debian and Gentoo?!
I'm not familiar with the openwrt and Debian(There is a text file with
descriptions of the repo, isn't) it the Package system but if they
have a description field I don't know why it shoudn't be included, the
work will be to match all those sources of infomation and find a good
balance to show attractive/useful information ,

A other idea regarding this is use a filter to show all, or just
one/few distros, and when entering the app description show on what
distribution  is included an in what version.

Yes its no easy and maybe we must start easy with just one package
system (read SHR ;) ) and then move one adding more distros and
finding good ways to merge all this information to this showing room
system.