[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 21 14:45:40 CEST 2009

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about posting about something very
similar to this a couple of days ago...

I definitely agree that opkg.org is broken in many ways, and impossible to
fix atm.  And I think some kind of application database is very important.

The model I was thinking about was actually more like the wine application
database : http://appdb.winehq.org/ - I think the model actually works
pretty well, since in theory pretty much any X application will run on the
FR, but only some will be usable.

I wasn't able to find out in a quick scan if the code for the wine appdb is
available, but I suspect it is - maybe we should just use something like
that as a base?

I definitely think we need something web-based, with the capability for
voting, comments, etc.   If I were to do it, from scratch, I'd probably use
django, but I think it's worth exploring other options first.  Are their
other open source app databases we might be able to reuse?

I'm not sure about tying it directly to the bb files - it's not clear to me
that the formating and information appropriate for a web-based db is the
same as what you'd want in a bb file...

Warren

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:

> Opkg.org seems to be owned by the author so if the author is not
> co-operative (cannot be reached, doesn't answer e-mails or jabber)
> there's not much we or OM can do about it.
>
> Summa summarum:
>
> * Looks like there are people around who support the idea of showroom.
> * Showroom, not a repository
> * Read the data from packages in the repositories of the distributions
> * Allow filtering of packages based on existing desktop files and
> categories
> * Allow social features like comments & voting on the web site
> * Also create a client for FR to search & install apps
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Anyone with the skills around willing to work on this? I'd say the one
> who has the skills can decide the technology, be it git+django or
> svn+php or whatever, as long as it's possible for more than one people
> to contribute.

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Reyes Samblas
> Martinez<david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:
> > 2009/8/21 Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi>:

> >> I agree, the point is to make it easy and appealing to find cool apps.
> >> But I wouldn't like to be able to see descriptions of all libraries
> >> but apps that one can use to do cool stuff.
> > the existance or not of desktop file can be used as filter to not
> > include libs/console apps if you don't want them, (maybe others are
> > searching for a lib and can be useful to include them)
> >>
> >> If it can be automated this far, it'd be great! Both WWW and app for
> >> Openmoko would be nice to have. And somehow - this again should be
> >> distro-undependant so that it can be easily adapted to work on
> >> openwrt, shr, om2009 - maybe even on Debian and Gentoo?!
> > I'm not familiar with the openwrt and Debian(There is a text file with
> > descriptions of the repo, isn't) it the Package system but if they
> > have a description field I don't know why it shoudn't be included, the
> > work will be to match all those sources of infomation and find a good
> > balance to show attractive/useful information ,
> >
> > A other idea regarding this is use a filter to show all, or just
> > one/few distros, and when entering the app description show on what
> > distribution  is included an in what version.
> >
> > Yes its no easy and maybe we must start easy with just one package
> > system (read SHR ;) ) and then move one adding more distros and
> > finding good ways to merge all this information to this showing room
> > system.

> >> --

> > --
> > David Reyes Samblas Martinez
> > http://www.tuxbrain.com
> > Open ultraportable & embedded solutions
> > Openmoko, Openpandora,  Arduino
> > Hey, watch out!!! There's a linux in your pocket!!!

> --
> | risto h. kurppa
> | risto at kurppa dot fi
> | http://risto.kurppa.fi

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca