[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Aug 21 15:10:05 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Warren
Baird<wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Funnily enough, I was just thinking about posting about something very
> similar to this a couple of days ago...

So there are more of us who want something like this and are not happy
with the current solution. Good to hear!

> The model I was thinking about was actually more like the wine application
> database : http://appdb.winehq.org/ - I think the model actually works
> pretty well, since in theory pretty much any X application will run on the
> FR, but only some will be usable.

http://wiki.winehq.org/Licensing says it's GPL and the code is available there.

True, existing solutions would be nice to use, one option is to check
getdeb.net, I think that's very close to what we need.
- support for screenshot
- support for different Ubuntu versions & architecture (=distributions
in our case)
- voting system included

I don't know anything about the backend how much work it'd be to
convert it to read .bb files or something but the frontend looks
promising to me.

The code is available here as GPL:
http://wiki.getdeb.net/WebDevelopment (well, see
https://code.launchpad.net/getdeb-web )
I visited their IRC channel (#getdeb) and was told it'll not be
maintained, they'll move to a new engine at some stage:
https://launchpad.net/apt-portal - some features still missing like
internationalization and comments.

Rui: well done trying to call!

And I also agree that the name opkg.org is not the best one as opk is
used in other platforms and other formats are used on FR too..

FR-apps
frapps

I think it's ok to limit us to only FR as it's a unique device at
least for now but maybe in the future there'd be a need to support
other linux phones too..? Maybe I wouldn't rule Android out too, if
people want to add Android apps there and the file formats etc support
it..