[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Aug 21 15:21:03 CEST 2009

I had a closer look at apt-portal at https://launchpad.net/apt-portal

To me this sounds like exactly something we're looking for:

-------------

APT-Portal is a web content management system that retrieves
information from a Debian APT repository and presents an application
list on a user friendly format.

The APT-Portal will use a Debian APT repository Packages file at it's
master data source, the data will be automatically imported into a
database, additional information related to packages and contained
applications can be provided using human and/or automated sources.
Users do not frequently search for packages, but most frequently for
applications, on this assumption the information presentation will be
centered around applications.

The following features will be implemented:
General Features:
- Automated packages information import/update from Packages(.gz,/.bz2) files
- Packages classification (main, optional, additional)
- Translation support for the site template
- List recent changes to the repository (with apturl feeds)
- Support for packages/applications descriptions translation
- AJAX filter/search for names, descriptions and tags

Application Information
- Extended Description - Best suited for web presentation, unlike the
debian packages description
- Screenshots
- APTURLs for: main package, optional packages, additional packages.
- etc..

What else do we need?! To me it looks like that someone with skills
could try this in one night and present the results with packages from
a repository the next day.. Later on, some modification is required to
support other file types, not only debian-style Packages.