what recamping rate is considered normal, if any?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 21 17:52:16 CEST 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> I'm running SHR unstable.  A number of days ago I decided to try to
> turning ti_calypso_deep_sleep to adaptive to see what would happen.
> Everything *seems* okay, and though I haven't done any formal test of
> battery life some anecdotal evidence would seem to indicate that battery
> life has gone up significantly.
>
> I turned on DEBUG level logging for ogsmd, and I *do* see the messages
> about "checking for TI Calypso recamping bug...," but they aren't all
> that frequent.  Sometime it detects an unexpected recamp in as few as 5
> minutes, but it usually seems to be once every 10 to 20 minutes.  In
> total the phone recamped 19 times in 9998 seconds, which is very roughly
> once every 9 minutes on average.
>
> So my question is whether some recamping is normal, or if it should
> really not happen at all when a phone is stationary?  If some is normal,
> what might be considered an acceptable rate, without much risk of
> randomly loosing calls or missing SMS?

Recamping is only normal for buggy hardware ;-) It sounds like you have the
intermittent recamping I often experience, which is too slow to trigger the
automatic detection. Note that it is temperature sensitive, so if it gets
warmer you will probably see the rate increase. What's acceptable is up to
you, and how your network responds to it. It seems to cause problems for me
with O2 but not with t-mobile or orange in the uk, but I may just have been
lucky with them and unlucky with o2.