One second Openmoko boot?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Fri Aug 21 19:57:06 CEST 2009

On 21 Aug 2009, at 18:10, Edder wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Michal
> Brzozowski<rusolis at poczta.fm> wrote:
>> 2009/8/21 Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name>
>>>
>>> Remember, there is almost absolutely no use case for total shutoff
>>> and
>>> suspend to 'Disk' since you want your GSM to stay on line on
>>> suspend. And
>>> for that everything but past resume from RAM is useless.
>>
>> There are many use cases if you're on battery for an extended
>> period (for
>> example when traveling) and don't need the GSM to be online all the
>> time.
>>
>> There have been a few occasions where suspend to disk would have
>> helped me,
>> assuming reasonable wakeup time. But I understand I'm in the
>> minority.
>>

> I would also like suspend to disk and agree that there are a number of
> use cases when it is very practical. For example I am often out of the
> country for a weekend. Often it is not practical to recharge the phone
> during that time and it would be a lot easier if I could just suspend
> to disk and quickly check for missed msgs every couple of hours or so.

Well yea, but it's a phone after all. :)
I would be really interested how long the phone would survive on the
deepest not off sleep possible (No radio, all chips possible shut
off). That could beat system to disk I would expect.

> Maybe I am biased because I also always suspend my laptop to disk, so
> know from experience how nice it is to be able to quickly boot up :)

Your laptop would probably survive for three month on suspend to
RAM. ;-)