First contact with the community

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Sat Aug 22 11:15:01 CEST 2009

Hi there!

Nice to hear and see new people entering the community!

And it's great that you'll get your unit soon - it just makes more
sense to devel with the unit, not with qemu as you can use the
touchscreen, you feel the speed, accelerometers, everything.

But it all depends on what do you want to do and in what kind of
projects to participate.

First of all, there are many different distributions you can install
on the phone. I myself use OM2009 unstable (see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2009 ), some other use SHR, some use
Debian. Also Gentoo, Android, QTextended (or whatever it's called
nowadays), Hackable1, openwrt are around and some more I forgot.

Then there are many applications written primarly for Openmoko phones,
like omgps (see http://code.google.com/p/omgps/ ).

If you want to start contributing and you know python, I suggest you
to have a look at Paroli, the phone application of OM2009. Paroli has
now been written for maybe some 6 months and is quite usable, but
still needs some love before it'll be launched as stable. If you're
interested, have a look at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2009_get_active#Paroli_phone_software
- the work on Paroli will benefit many users and it's a smooth start
for you, for example rewriting the wlan workflow (see
http://www.paroli-project.org/trac/ticket/171 ) or include a bluetooth
support.

You're welcome to join #paroli irc-channel for more questions.

Enjoy your freedom!