[All] Status of the OM community

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Sat Aug 22 11:34:05 CEST 2009

Hi there!

After OM announced the discontinuation of the OM software development,
there was this discussion about starting a foundation to support the
community.

What's the status? Any action taken?

I feel like suffering from the unorganized community: the wiki is a
mess, apps around are outdated, no instructions available how to
submit apps to repositories and how to create .bb recipes (I know SHR
has it all better :), how to set up a development environment and so
on. There's also a lack of communication about packages and
dependencies: suddenly some library is updated and it breaks tens of
apps without the author or packager knowing about it.

-> Coordination and leadership is needed!

I'm actually very happy that we ('the community') were able to start
running Community Updates without anyone from OM to do it, see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates

Any ideas?

My suggestion is to start with the cleanup of wiki: separate HW and
SW, separate devel/user information, archive or delete outdated
information, take good care of sites like
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko:Community_Portal
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Introduction

My wish also would be that the (former) OM employees still around
could rewrite/update the parts that concern OM the company in the
wiki.