Getting location info from cell tower

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 12:56:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:

> Except cell broadcast channel there is also something like "Cell info"
> (it was exposed in settings in my Nokia and Motorola phones), and it
> in some networks provide info about location and doesn't have such
> limitation as cell broadcasting.
>
> Is it possible to get  it from Calypso and FSO?

  Well, that cell info on nokia and motorola phone is the data from a cell
broadcast service channel providing location data. It works here when I
register for all channels (since I dont know which chaneel the data is sent
on). The very same location info is now shown on the launcher home page.

  Set a listener for "org.freesmartphone.ogsmd",
"/org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device",  "org.freesmartphone.GSM.CB",
"SetCellBroadcastSubscriptions" and pass the value "all".
  You'll get a string with the location.
HTH