Hi

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at qi-hardware.com
Sun Aug 23 04:24:01 CEST 2009

Roland,

> Seeing that none of the distro's really do (seeing that they are
> produced by hackers who are mostly hacking for their own enjoyment
> it's not really surprising and you can't really blame the teams)

I would agree, but what's your solution?
The one idea I have is that maybe stable releases are the common
denominator: Insist on stable interfaces, crystal clear distinction
between stable, testing and unstable branches.
That may be one way to bring the hackers and regular users together,
since I believe at least a large part of hackers understands and
agrees with the value of well maintained stable releases, well tested
upgrade paths from one stable release to the next, a clear process
of how stuff moves from unstable to testing to stable.

It would still require some tough choices though, because there are
some that don't care about stable releases (I'm not blaming them same
as you - they do this for their own enjoyment). Maybe their stuff
stays in unstable forever :-)
What do you think?

Best Regards,
Wolfgang