Charging BL-5C in GTA02 (Was: Replacement battery for GTA01/Neo)

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sun Aug 23 21:50:38 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:14:18PM +0800, Daniel.Li wrote:

> I bought BL-5C compatible battery month ago, and it can't be charged
> with GTA02. I also remove BL-5C from Nokia phone, and GTA02 still can't
> charge this battery.

   How do you know it doesn't charge the battery? IIRC, we had no charge
indication of non-GTA02 batteries a month ago. We didn't even light up the
charge LED while charging non-GTA02 batteries, did we?

   It would not be difficult to establish if your GTA02 charges your BL-5C
battery or not - simply try it out! Use and charge with your GTA02 like you
normally would. After a week, tell us if your GTA02 stays on when you unplug
USB/charger power supply. Because even if you suspend the GTA02, a BL-5C
won't last for more than 4-5 days without being charged.

   Or you can measure battery voltage before and after charging in the
GTA02 - you will find that battery voltage increases during charging. Heck,
your Nokia phone probably has some sort of charge level indicator that you
could have use for before and after charge level comparisons.

   Or you can look at the schematics[1] page 4. The coulumb counter is not
connected to the battery charger (PCF50633). Go ahead, search for R1769.
You'll see it says NC which is short for not connected. Looking at the
component placement drawing[1], you'll see that space was allocated for
R1769 below U1701. And indeed that position on the PCB is empty (GTA02 date
code 20080722): http://nospamnospam.homepage.dk/hardware/GTA02A6-R1769.png
GTA02A5 pictures are here (you want the 'CS' ones):
https://people.openmoko.org/tony_tu/GTA02/hardware/GTA02/A5/

   So please, can we see an end to this totally unfounded misinformation
about not being able to charge batteries other than GTA02 ones?

[1] http://downloads.openmoko.org/developer/schematics/GTA02/

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen