[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Markus Törnqvist mjt at nysv.org
Mon Aug 24 09:30:54 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 02:36:44AM -0500, Cristian Gómez wrote:
>I made this Classes diagram [1] in DIA to make the basis for the development
>of the site. It's really basic but I think that it's a start point.

I put my two cents in another message but I'll put some cents here too :)

>I'll explain several points to make the diagram clear:
>* The classes have the attributes that I can figure out from the requests on
>this thread.

Sure, whatever.

>* A user can be a maintainer of a distribution/application or just a regular
>user (someone with account in the page who can vote for the distros/apps
>popularity)

I like it; a user is a user, the attributes are attributes.

>* The "File" class (table) contains the files (commonly image files) of the
>three entities: distros/apps (screenshots); user (user image)
>* The distros and the apps have an attribute to represent their popularity
>(a float number from 1 to 5) that is set with a stored procedure that update
>the "popularity" field with the average of the califications of the users
>for the distro/application (a user only can vote once for an distro/app,
>which makes the popularity more reliable). The procedure is triggered
>whenever an user give a distro/app application)

Denormalization techniques are better for sites that take a lot of hits
and don't want to calculate aggregates on every request, because they
are read much more than written to.

I think the moko application db will never be popular enough to benefit
from this, and having stored procs can clutter the code.

>TODO>I don't know if the diagram is usable/compatible with the apt-portal idea
>but is my way to bring my two cents for the cause......

I haven't had time to look at apt-portal yet, and I don't know if anyone
yet has, but we'll see.. :)

Thanks!

--
mjt