Python email or direct GMail lib?

Marcel tanuva at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:41:50 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2009, 21:32 +1200 schrieb Robin Paulson:
> 2009/8/25 Marcel <tanuva at googlemail.com>:
> > I'm writing a minimal gmail client for the Neo and found that libgmail
> > has loads of dependencies when trying it on the Hardware (which wasn't
> > successful until now because of these deps).
> > Does someone of you know a (possibly easily *g*) usable direct gmail or
> > general email library?
>
> have a look at what this guy's done - he uses some libraries which
> interface with various google services. no idea if he uses a special
> gmail library or imap access

>From what I see there he only uses the gcalendar interface, but has some
email app. I'll at least install and try it... As I said before - there
seems to be a gmail api for nearly everything, even gmail _settings_,
but not for accessing mail.

> (out of interest, why are you limiting
> your app to reading mail through gmail's methods, instead of imap?)

Because I use gmail and wanted a fast solution without having to deal
with mail protocols... :) I'm currently looking at python-email (imaplib
module) that Michael Sheldon suggested, so it's basically becoming
general imap.