[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Aug 25 15:36:16 CEST 2009

<snip>
> How should different distributions be combined in the showroom?
> ->
> This is difficult since package information from different repositories
> is is likely to differ. That means for example: should we use the
> description provided by SHR or the one from Gentoo?
> My first thought was, to just use information from SHR and if the same
> application is available in a different distro add something like "Also
> available for Gentoo". This is flawed however because maybe a package
> provided by Gentoo isn't available in SHR and just putting it into "not
> categorized" feels wrong.
> So im my opinion there should be a showroom for each distribution. This
> way it is easy to display distribution specific information on an
> application.
I a little disagree with you here, I like the vision of the apt-get
portal to be aplication-centric instead of distro-centric, I agree to
extract info form the repos , and this info will be useful to
initialize the bd, etc but the users will have the availability to
enrich this descriptions and adding pics and vids, comments, voting,
karma and whatever fancy thing we want/can  include  and all this will
be managed by the showroom it self,
an application will have some characteristics and those can be
perfectly in what distro/machine/version is included and the level of
working state but is assumed than if is included in a distro will have
some level of usable state

> Isn't it very inefficient to have several showrooms (one per
> distribution)?
> ->
> Not neccessarily. Completely unrelated showrooms would of course result
> in additional work. For example one would upload similar or even the
> same screenshots several times for different distributions.
> A good solution would be to relate these showrooms together. That means
> to have a kind of "masterlist" were all applications from all
> distributions are collected. Screenshots and comments aren't attached
> to an application in a single showroom, but to the name of the
> application on the "masterlist".
> When viewing an application on the SHR-showroom displayed information
> comes from bb-files, but screenshots and comments come from the
> "masterlist". If viewing the same application on the Gentoo-showroom
> the same screenshots and comments would be showed, but the application
> information and category may differ.
As said before I prefer only one distro agnostic showroom, much more
easy to mantain , and if some one only wants to navigate trough only
one distro apps, use a filter.

> Maybe comments should be tagged so one can toggle between "Show all"
> and "Show distribution specific".
Good point

> Do we want to support more hardware than the Freerunner?
> ->
> Definitely yes, or have you forgotten about the neo-gta01 pioneers?
> And in case someday gta03/gta02core really materializes it
> deserves a place in the showroom, too. However I still have to think
> more about supporting multiple hardware. Maybe someone else with good
> thoughts on this?
Just another field on the characteristics of the app to be filled.

> Please excuse my shiftless examples including SHR and Gentoo only,
> other distris are great, too ;)
Your are welcome ;)