[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Markus Törnqvist mjt at nysv.org
Tue Aug 25 16:56:31 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 03:36:16PM +0200, David Reyes Samblas Martinez wrote:
>I a little disagree with you here, I like the vision of the apt-get
>portal to be aplication-centric instead of distro-centric, I agree to
>extract info form the repos , and this info will be useful to
>initialize the bd, etc but the users will have the availability to
>enrich this descriptions and adding pics and vids, comments, voting,
>karma and whatever fancy thing we want/can  include  and all this will
>be managed by the showroom it self,
>an application will have some characteristics and those can be
>perfectly in what distro/machine/version is included and the level of
>working state but is assumed than if is included in a distro will have
>some level of usable state

It can't really be app-centric because apps have versions, major and minor,
and distributions (can) have "vendor patches" and whatever.

It's simply not fair to anyone to have app-centric comments, they
need to be in context.

>> Isn't it very inefficient to have several showrooms (one per
>> distribution)?
>> ->
>> Not neccessarily. Completely unrelated showrooms would of course result
>> in additional work. For example one would upload similar or even the
>> same screenshots several times for different distributions.
>> A good solution would be to relate these showrooms together. That means
>> to have a kind of "masterlist" were all applications from all
>> distributions are collected. Screenshots and comments aren't attached
>> to an application in a single showroom, but to the name of the
>> application on the "masterlist".
>> When viewing an application on the SHR-showroom displayed information
>> comes from bb-files, but screenshots and comments come from the
>> "masterlist". If viewing the same application on the Gentoo-showroom
>> the same screenshots and comments would be showed, but the application
>> information and category may differ.
>As said before I prefer only one distro agnostic showroom, much more
>easy to mantain , and if some one only wants to navigate trough only
>one distro apps, use a filter.

I still have to test apt-portal and I encourage others to do that too,
because if it delivers 99% of what we need, then I suggest we go with
whatever it offers and build on that.

Knowing from experience that building these things from scratch is
a lot of work...

--
mjt