[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 25 18:39:58 CEST 2009

My opinion is that building a tool like this ourselves is definitely the
last resort - we have limited resources for the FR - let's not spend them
re-inventing the wheel.

I'm not so sure about seperating out comments and information based on the
distribution / app version / etc...   would it be possible to put everything
in one app-centric place, but tag the comments etc. with
version/distro/etc?

One use case that I think is very valuable it be able to see what everyone
else is saying about an app - for instance does MyMailApp work well with
IMAP - that's not generally going to be tied to a specific distro, and not
necessarily to a specific version.   If I have to go through a bunch of
different pages to see all the comments people have added about MyMailApp,
it'd be quite annoying.

Of course, another question is does MyMailApp 0.93 work on SHR-Unstable
built on Aug 15th - for that you'd like to be able to filter comments by
distro and app-version...

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <
seba.dos1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/25/09, David Reyes Samblas Martinez <david at tuxbrain.com> wrote:
> >> Well, app-oriented showroom will be easier to maintain (well, i'm not
> >> sure about that), but less useful for users and applications using
> >> data from that showroom (about that i'm sure :P).
> > Ok so this argument has conviced me about a separate showroom by
> > distro, one of the goals is that the info can be reused, so if in this
> > way can be easier lets take this approach
> >>
> >> Also, I would love to see self-built packages abbandoned at all and
> >> not used in such showroom, as they only produce mess and problems.
> > Distro mantainers have to work towards including this apps on their
> > distros to not let scape any of those cool apps (duke3d, doom, are an
> > example of cool apps lost in the distro evolutions)
>
> Can't agree more. Application developers just have to provide distro
> friendly sources (preferrably git or svn repo, but tarball hosted on
> trusted server is also ok), packaging and integrating into distro has
> to be done by distro developers. This way packages won't be out of
> date and data in showroom will be really easier to maintain.
>
> --
> Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
> dos

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca