[ALL] New showroom for Openmoko apps

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Tue Aug 25 20:21:37 CEST 2009

Someone please test apt-portal and see what it offers or how much work
it is to hack it to do what we want. I don't think it's much work:
oe-based distros and debian shouldn't be a problem since the
repositories are veeery close to the ubuntu repositories used by
playdeb -> I'd guess that setting up the first versions is a breeze
(for someone who knows python & web-things..).

- Packages classification (main, optional, additional)
- Translation support for the site template
- List recent changes to the repository (with apturl feeds)
- Support for packages/applications descriptions translation
- Automated packages information import/update from Packages(.gz,/.bz2) files
  -> works out of the box for oe-based and debian based distros?!
- AJAX filter/search for names, descriptions and tags
  -> tags can be used to separate different distro releases?

As playdeb already supports different Ubuntu version (like 9.04, 8.10
etc..) I can't image it being hard to change apt-portal to manage
these as different distros (om2009, SHR, debian..) see
http://www.playdeb.net/release_select/

Building from scratch is tons of work and stupid as we already have
apt-portal around.

And app-centric vs. distro-centric, I don't think it makes sense to
create separate installations of apt-portal for each distro but have
all apps in the same system separating distros by
tags/categories/source repositories. So the first thing a user selects
is his distro and then he'd only see the apps for his distro.

-> my 2 cents go for apt-portal so now we have.. hmm.. not enought to
buzz-fix FR of the one who sets up apt-portal for us :)