Om2009

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 27 00:39:06 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I've been encouraged by a couple of persistent community members to post an
update to Om2009. First ( other than taking some time off for the summer ) I'll
tell you what I've been working on.

I've been working on getting the 2.6.30 kernel with openwrt patches running.
After a dismal failure earlier in the month I now have a running system. You
can download experimental images to see its current state. I believe it is
building and running most days.

There are two caveats to using the bleeding edge experimental.

1) SD card are failing to mount on occasion. This may be due to patches missed
by me or a function of Om2009 versus openwrt booting.

2) fsousaged crashes whenever it gets a suspend message. I've traced it to the
point of fso_usage_low_level_suspend getting called with a NULL argument. So
for a working phone suspend will need to be disabled for now.

I'd like feedback from anyone brave enough to try it.

Now I have a question of all of you. Should I continue to maintain Om2009.
From the recent poll by rhk it seems that SHR users outnumber OM users by ~
7:1. So what I'd like to know is does anyone still think Om2009 is a worthy
venture or should I move over to SHR and see what help I can be there.

This should not be interpreted as paroli being abandoned as paroli is in the
SHR feeds. I haven't tested it, but getting it to work would be one of my first
tasks if it doesn't.

This question also has a caveat. Before the end of the month I will be
starting a full time contract which will cut into the time that I will have to
devote to Om2009. So if Om2009 does move forward the progress will be slow.

Looking forward to your responses

Angus