Om2009

Leonti Bielski prishelec at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 01:42:04 CEST 2009

I like Paroli as an application, but I think there is no need for
another similar OE distribution.
We should have one very basic image (like we had with FSO) which would
contain like "shr-extra-lite" with basic system programs, FSO and
opkg.
Plus some scripts to customize them.
You want SHR? Run install_shr.sh - it will install ophonekitd and shr
applications.
Want paroli? Run paroli.sh
Want litephone? Run litephone.sh
And so on. This is the beauty of OE and FSO. Especially FSO.
And of course those images can be generated automatically with bitbake.

This way we'll have stable system base and different developers can
just concentrate on specific programs. So we won't have to sacrifice
some distro functions like for example "bind-home" in order to use SHR
and vice versa.
Right now I have SHR and Paroli installed as an application - it works
perfectly. I don't see how is it worse than having OM2009
distribution. On the other hand if I would have OM2009 it will take
much more effort to install SHR functionality to it.

Just my 2 cents.
Leonti