vi vs. nano in shr user manual (was Re: SHR first experiences & user manual)

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Aug 28 10:00:12 CEST 2009

see http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/SHR_User_Manual#Audio:_Volume

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Markus Törnqvist<mjt at nysv.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:32:09AM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
>>"Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> writes:
>>> How about preferring nano over vi? I think nano - telling people what
>>> to press, might be more friendlier.
>>Nano is fucked-up shit imho. I'd be sad to see it mentioned in the SHR
>>manual, no matter what the reasoning is.
>
> I could not have expressed it better :D
>
> And if you have an on-screen keyboard, it's slightly less of a suck
> to use an editor that doesn't require you to toggle Ctrl-button states
> every other keypress, but have states in the editor itself.

Wait a sec - did I understand correctly that you want to tell people
to use vi in the user manual?

So I take you expect that people going through the manual are skilled
enough to use vi and if not, they'll be smart enough to use nano
instead?

Maybe the manual should explain how to use vi: how to save, exit etc..
I have no idea how to use it. Maybe a link to vi howto?

I have no problems accepting that some prefer more vi than nano but I
have hard time accepting it being suggested in a manual where you
can't be sure people know how to use it as it isn't as
self-explanatory as nano, no matter how much Ctrl you have to use.