QNavitCtl - Navit Bookmarks via dbus

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Aug 28 10:42:53 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM, KaZeR<kazer at altern.org> wrote:
> Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> True, realtime-drawn maps on low power device like the FR can't compete with
> bitmaps maps on these points.

Don't know if glamo will help here at some stage..

> Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
>>
>> tangogps doesn't crash/freeze
>>
> It would be interesting to see if you can find a pattern for that.

for tangogps not crashing ?:)

No, for navit crashing: it actually mostly freezes but it is usualle
the whole Freerunner, not only navit, but otoh I feel it more often
when using Navit -> maybe it's just more cpu-intensive..

> Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
>>
>> So far I haven't been able to
>> Reliably route longer trips
>>
> Using OSM maps? What do you mean by unreliably? No route, bad route, crash
> when routing?

I was traveling somewhere and it only routed to the next crossroads,
not further. I had set the destination as bookmark and selected it
there. And the roads are ok, it should've been able to find a route
there anyway (I think I had a look at the route with some other
www-router using OSM and they worked)

> Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
>>
>> Find the destination from the street name catalog (mostly the list's
>> just empty.. don't know if it's OSM or navit..)
>>
> http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMaps#Problems_with_OSM_and_navit_or_navigation_in_general

Thanks, I'll check.

One of the problems is that navit searches for streets not based on
community borders but closest city center / something. This causes for
example a big part of Northern Helsinki (in Finland) to look like it'd
be at Vantaa, when searching for street names (that worked at some
stage, now that you mention it..) - I guess it's the same problem as
with this: "Unfortunately using the country border for detecting the
membership of a town also isn't an option, because the boundaries are
usually not closed or wrong"

(and btw, there are places in Finland like 'Ii' - the name has only 2
letters -> not possible to search..)

Wish Navit got more developers lured in..
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/building-community-around-your-foss.html

> Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
>>
>> Scroll bookmarks / streetnames
>>
> http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/352

So it's known, good.. Let's hope we'll see a fix soon..